Shell is proposing an expansion of a tar sands mine that will disturb 12,700 hectares of land, mine out 21 kilometres of the Muskeg River, a culturally important waterway to Treaty 8 members, and will results in a 5.2% increase in tar sands green house gas emissions.
Expanding the Jackpine mine tar sands means:
- Violating Treaty 8 and the Canadian Constitution
- destruction of traditional territory of ACFN
- more climate-changing emissions
- more water consumption and contamination
- more habitat loss
- more pipelines (and risks of spills)
- more oil tankers on our coast
- and less investment into clean energy alternatives.